Thursday, November 17, 2011

Why I Wanted To Be Black When I Grew Up

When I was little my mom told me I could be anything I wanted to be.  I was probably six, it was the seventies.  What I wanted to be more than anything else in the world was a black woman.  I was in a bit of a Motown phase and to me, black skin was not only beautiful, but, if you were black you could sing and dance.  Singing and dancing was all I wanted to do.  If you've ever seen me do either, you'll take note that it was a prayer that went unanswered.  I'm sure this is politically incorrect on many levels, but I was six and I had nothing but the best of intentions.  My kids are at that age and I started laughing today when I was thinking about being anything I wanted to be. 

When my mom followed her statement with the obvious question and I answered honestly, she said, "well, I guess you can be almost anything you want to be, how about an astronaut?"

On that note, a very happy birthday to the lovely RuPaul.

0 comments:

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com