Thursday, May 27, 2010

24 Hours, Three Personality Defining Moments

Tuesday night: Aidan is pouring milk for dinner. “Mom, do you want me to just pour theirs on the table?” I say, “Um, noooooo”. “Postponing the inevitable?” he says.

Wednesday morning: Dan has this little travel clock he takes with us when we camp, it’s built into a little jewelry-looking box and it has an alarm. I hate it. HATE IT. It ticks, loudly. I find that my heart rate accelerates to keep pace with it, I CAN NOT STAND IT, when it is around I can think of nothing else. TIC TOC TIC TOC KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME. I have thrown it out of the tent on occasion. But, I have never thrown it or even spoken about it in front of Grace or Olivia and I’m pretty sure Dan hasn’t even used it since they were born. Dan’s alarm clock broke so he replaced it temporarily with THE CLOCK. Yesterday morning the girls were watching TV on my bed and Grace brought me THE CLOCK and said, “Mom, you have to hide this somewhere” “Why?” I ask. “Because it’s making a horrible tick toc sound and I HATE IT”. Five minutes later she has to come get her hair done in the room with THE CLOCK, again she has to go hide it somewhere else. Then she says “MOM, YOU HAVE TO GET RID OF THIS THING BEFORE NAP TIME, I WON’T BE ABLE TO SLEEP. EVER. AGAIN”. Sometimes there is no escape from your genes.

Wednesday afternoon: We are all sitting on the couch together. Dan has his arm around Olivia. Olivia gets up and leaves without saying anything. I assume she’s in the bathroom. She comes back, hands Dan something and says, “Here Daddy, you should use some of this” it is Aidan’s deodorant. At this point Crystal Lite flies out of my nose because I am laughing so hard. I say, “Olivia, how do you know what that is for?” She says, “I know it’s so Daddy won’t be stinky”. I have no idea how she knows that, but AMEN, OLIVIA!


On a heavier note, today is the girls' last day of school.  I'm getting ready to go to the party that celebrates this fact.  What I really want to do is have a martini...for breakfast.  Happy Summer Everyone!

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

That milk story is hysterical...

I'm sure that I'm going to regret giving my kids my genes...I'm so damn opinionated that I'm going to hate hearing it come out of my kids mouths. Oh, and Husband is typically angry...I can't imagine how miserable my kids will be! LOL

Kristyn Harper-Kaminski said...

Rebecca, at the park the other day this kid knocks down Olivia's sand castle and she looks him right in the eye and says, "WHAT is WRONG with you?" and all of these parents are cracking up and my husband says, "Oh my God, you say that all the TIME!" they WILL say everything you and your husband do; good, bad and ugly!

Shawna said...

when are you coming camping in SD?

cat said...

Oh those stories are hysterical. The milk one - oh my word!

Nicki said...

Your kids are hilarious! I totally sympathize with Aidan about the milk thing... I've thought the same thing about Little Bear and Pufferfish's drinks. Like, "Okay, just call me when you've spilled this, so I can clean it up!"

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com